Leviticus 26:14-34.. 14 ‘But if you do not obey Me and do not carry out all these commandments, 16 I, in turn, will do this to you:
Just as promises of good would come from obeying the commandments of God there would be severe punishment for disobedience:
• I will appoint over you a sudden terror, consumption and fever that will waste away the eyes and cause the soul to pine away; also, you will sow your seed uselessly, for your enemies will eat it up. (v.16) 16)
• I will strike you down by your enemies and they will rule over you (vv.17-18)
• I will take away your pride and power (vv.19-20)
• I will increase your plagues 7 times and send beasts of the field (vv. 21-22)
• I will strike you 7 times for your sins (vv. 23-24)
• I will send the sword, pestilence, and enemies (v.25)
• I will break your bread so it does not satisfy when you eat it (v.26)
• I will punish you 7 times for your sins and you will become cannibals (vv.27-29)
• I will destroy your places of idol worship, destroy your sanctuaries, make the land desolate, scatter you among the nations and make your cities wastelands (vv.31-33)
• 34 ‘Then the land will enjoy its sabbaths all the days of the desolation, while you are in your enemies’ land; then the land will rest and enjoy its sabbaths. 35 All the days of its desolation it will observe the rest which it did not observe on your sabbaths, while you were living on it.
God described the horror of His punishment if the Israelites did not obey His commands. We know from history they did not continually obey and these horrors occurred. Yet they experienced God’s grace and patience because it was from 1445 BC to 70 AD until Jerusalem and the Temple were destroyed the 2nd time and the people scattered to the nations. During the interval all of these horrors occurred.
After the 1st destruction of Jerusalem and the temple and 70 years captivity, the promise in vv.34-35 was fulfilled in 537 BC to allow the Israelites who desired to return from Babylon to Jerusalem. The 70 years were the number of “sabbaths of the land” missed. A
God is love, grace, mercy and patience, but He is also the God of justice and desires obedience from His children out of love!
Notes: A- 2 Chronicles 36:19-21
Henry Luke 11/28/2017
For other posts on Leviticus 17-26, click on “Leviticus 17-26” in tags below.