Leviticus 26:3-13.. 3 If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments so as to carry them out, 4 then I shall give you rains in their season, so that the land will yield its produce and the trees of the field will bear their fruit. 11 Moreover, I will make My dwelling among you, and My soul will not reject you. 12 I will also walk among you and be your God, and you shall be My people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt so that you would not be their slaves, and I broke the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect.
Verses 3-13 set forth God’s promises to His people, Israel. These promises are practical, personal, comprehensive, and direct.
• God said if you obey and carry out my commandments (v. 3)
• Then He promised to bless their crops with rain (v.4).
• He promised to bless the fruit of the land with growth (vv. 4-5).
• He promised peace and rest to the people (v.6)
• He promised His people victory over their enemies (vv.7-8)
• He promised fruitfulness, fertility, confirmed His covenant with Israel and a continual supply of food that is fresh and new (vv. 9-10).
• He pledged that He would dwell among His people (v. 11).
• He proved His faithfulness and power by bringing them out of Egypt, promised to be their God and they were His people (v.12-13)
God’s promises here are stated in terms of the basic necessities of life; not in terms of luxury items. His promises in these verses did not remove the necessity of hard work. To have plenty to eat, they would need to expend the effort of sowing, cultivating and harvesting their crops. To have peace they would have to fight battles with their enemies.
Jesus fulfilled unconditionally all the law so that all that believe in Him and call Him Lord will be saved: Luke 24:44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”
The promises by God were conditional on the Israelites obeying the commandments of God by walking in them, keeping them and carrying them out.
Henry Luke 11/27/2017
For other posts on Leviticus 17-26, click on “Leviticus 17-26” in tags below.