Leviticus 16:29-30.. 29 “This shall be a permanent statute for you: in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall humble your souls and not do any work, whether the native, or the alien who sojourns among you; 30 for it is on this day that atonement shall be made for you to cleanse you; you will be clean from all your sins before the Lord..
Verses 3-6 detailed the preparation of Aaron, the chief priest, and his family to offer sacrifices for the sins of the people.
Verses 7-10, 15-22 gave instructions regarding the choosing of two sacrificial goats.
Verses 11-14, 23-28 give further instructions regarding the various acts of rites of purification that took place on the Day of Atonement.
However, as we see in verses 29-30, for these rites to be acceptable the Israelites needed to offer them with humble and repentant hearts. The annual ceremony is clearly outlined in these verses.
- This was to be a permanent statute.
- They were to celebrate in—the seventh month [in the Hebrew calendar, but September or October in today’s calendar], on the tenth day of the month.
- They were to humble their souls in preparation for worship.
- Further, they were to do no work, both the native and the alien who sojourns among you.
- The purpose of the Day of Atonement was to cleanse, and you will be clean from all your sins before the Lord; until they were eternally propitiated and removed by the blood of Jesus. F
Every aspect of the Day of Atonement—the preparation, the sacrifices, the cleansing, the sending away of the goat for the sins of the people— was permanently fulfilled and completed in the person and work of Jesus. Jesus died on our behalf, taking upon Himself the penalty of sin. A The work of Jesus is the heart of the gospel. B Jesus became a curse for us by hanging on a cross. C Jesus is our Mediator through whom we are reconciled with God. D Any person who acknowledges and repents of their sin, trusting in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ for forgiveness, will be saved. E
Notes: A- 2 Corinthians 5:21; B- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; C- Galatians 3:13; D- 1 Timothy 2:5-6; 1 Peter 3:18; E- Romans 10:9,13 , For “How to be saved?” click here; F- Romans 3:25; For “Atonement for sin, Part 1” click here
Henry Luke 11/25/2017
For other posts on Leviticus 11-16, click on “Leviticus 11-16” in tags below.