Genesis 15:6 Then he believed in the Lord; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness. By faith Abraham was justified. His faith is confirmed in Hebrews 11 along with Abel, Noah, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Rehab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David and Samuel and the prophets. A Very similar words in Romans 5:1.
David said God was not pleased in burnt offerings, but accepts a broken spirit and heart. B People in the Old Testament were justified by faith and believing in God, not by the sacrifices they offered out of obedience and love.
The sacrificial system served as a picture of the future sacrificial death and resurrection of Jesus. The OT sacrifices were opportunities to worship God and confess sins with holy and humble heart. They required a huge commitment in financial resources and time–15+ days per year plus travel time, but God wanted them made with a broken, crushed and humble heart totally depending on Him. Job 41:11, Luke 17:10, Romans 11:35
Some of the Sacrifices and Feasts of Leviticus. Sacrifices stopped in 70 AD when the Temple was destroyed.
5 Types of Sacrifices in the Book of Leviticus:
- Whole Burnt Offering-Voluntary, when offered from sincere believing hearts, these sacrifices expressed outwardly the people’s inward devotion to the Lord. (Leviticus 1; 6:8-13). C
- Grain offering-Voluntary offering symbolized a thankful recognition of God’s blessings of the necessities of life and the consecration of the worshiper’s life and substance to God. (Leviticus 2; 6:14-23). D
- Fellowship or peace offering-The fellowship offering was a voluntary sacrifice that was an indication of peace of God. (Leviticus 3; 7:11-36; 22:17-30; 27). E
- Sin offering-mandatory sacrifice of atonement made to restore the relationship between an individual and God or between the congregation and God. (Leviticus 4:1–5:13; 6:24-30; 12:6-8).
- Guilt offering-mandatory sacrifice made by a person who had deprived another of his rights or had desecrated something holy (Leviticus 5:14–6:7; 7:1-6; 14:12-18).
Seven Annual Feasts of Leviticus 23:
- Passover,2. *Unleavened Bread, 3. *Firstfruits, 4. Pentecost, 5. Trumpets, 6. Day of Atonement, 7. *Tabernacles. *all males required to go to Tabernacle/Temple for total of 15 days not including travel time for 2 trips. For descriptions, click here.
God takes our sin problem seriously. For solution to the sin problem, click here.
For list of all sacrifices and feasts; with additional information click here . I have not thoroughly ckecked the theology in this web site but it was helpful to me. © 2003-2017 by Stephen Tam, www3.telus.net/public/kstam. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Henry Luke 11/6/2017
For other posts on Leviticus 1-7, click on “Leviticus 1-7” in tags below.