1. The sin of a man like David should be a warning to each disciple that we are in daily spiritual battle in a war that will last the rest of our lives. Finish strong in the spiritual war by total surrender to the Triune God-the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
2. To avoid having to be confronted by God I should daily do Self-Examination: REVIEWmy recent actions, motives, thoughts and words against God’s word; CONFESSwhere I have sinned against God & others; REPENT of this sin, commit to change & ask God for help to change my heart.
3. Why is it easier to point out the sin others than to recognize the sin in my life? The realization that my sin is against God and others should stimulate me to confession and repentance.
4. Truth and wisdom from the Word of God should move me to confession and repentance.
5. We should confess and repent as soon as the Holy Spirit convicts us of a sin. Joy and gladness will return in the disciple’s life as a result of being forgiven.
6. Confession and repentance of sin should stimulate disciples to obey God’s commands to witness and teach the gospel.
7. David wrote that God is pleased with a broken and humbled heart. Such brokenness leads to confession and repentance.
8. Scripture Memory: Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
A broken and a contrite heart*, O God, You will not despise. *a humble and crushed heart
Henry Luke 8/12/21017
For other posts on Psalm 51 click on “Psalm 51” in Tags below.