From “A Theology of Biblical Counseling” by Dr Heath Lambert except as noted.
God’s attributes of strength and His unmatched power.
- Self-Sufficient- God is self-sufficient and does not need anything outside of His Divine Triune nature. [Acts 17:24-30]
- God is sufficient in Himself with no needs outside of Himself vv.24-25
- The self-sufficiency of God creates our dependence on Him. v.25
- God demands that we acknowledge this dependence & repent vv.26b-30
- Infinite- God has no limitations
- God is not restrained by time in any way.
- God is not limited by any spatial consideration.
- God is infinitely perfect. That means He is infinitely self-sufficient, good & loving, etc. [1 John 1:5; Matthew 5:48]
- Omnipresent- God is always present everywhere with the fullness of who He is. He is present in the lives of all believers at the same time. [Psalm 139:7-10; John 17:22-23]
- Omniscient- God has complete knowledge of everything; past, present, and future. [Psalm 139:1-10)
- Omnisapient- God is all-wise and always knows what is best. [Romans 11:33-34; James 1:5]
- Omnipotent- God is all-powerful and is able to do anything consistent with His character as God. [Ephesians 1:11c]
- Omniattendant- God is constantly attentive to His children. [2 Chronicles 16:9a, Proverbs 15:3, Hebrews 4:13 ] From Dr. Mac Brunson.
- Creator and Sustainer of the universe- Created in 6 days; 6,000 to 8,000 years ago. [By Henry Luke, Genesis 1-2; Colossians 1:16-17; God’s revelation of Himself in Creation! ]
God’s attributes of care
- Holiness– God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are 100% devoted to each other in faithfulness and loyalty and trust. A The separation of holiness for disciples is having complete devotion to God and being separated from a world that disregards God. [1 Peter 1:15-16]
- Faithfulness- What God knows and what He says is true. [John 17:17]
- Goodness-Everything that God is and does is the standard for what is best. [Psalm 119:68]
- Love- God gives Himself to benefit others. [John 3:16 CSB]
- Mercy and grace- God’s kindness to undeserving people who need help. Mercy is God’s goodness to those who are in trouble. Grace is God’s goodness to those who do not deserve it. [2 Corinthians 1:3; Romans 3:23-24]
- Wrath- His anger toward and punishment of wickedness. [Romans 12:17-19]
For 31 names and attributes of God for daily prayers click here.
Footnote: A- From “A Theology of Biblical Counseling” by Dr. Heath Lambert, Footnote 11 at bottom page 124.
Henry Luke Revised 7/14/2017