From “A Theology of Biblical Counseling” by Dr Heath Lambert except as noted.
God’s attributes of strength and His unmatched power.
- Self-Sufficient- God is self-sufficient and does not need anything outside of His Divine Triune nature. [Acts 17:24-30]a.
- God is sufficient in Himself with no needs outside of Himself vv.24-25
- The self-sufficiency of God creates our dependence on Him. v.25
- God demands that we acknowledge this dependence & repent vv.26b-30
- Infinite- God has no limitations
- God is not restrained by time in any way.
- God is not limited by any spatial consideration.
- God is infinitely perfect. That means He is infinitely self-sufficient, good & loving, etc. [1 John 1:5; Matthew 5:48]
- Omnipresent- God is always present everywhere with the fullness of who He is. He is present in the lives of all believers at the same time. [Ps 139:7-10; John 17:22-23]
- Omniscient- God has complete knowledge of everything; past, present and future. [Psalm 139:1-6–also see verse 7-10 above in C.]
- Omnisapient- God is all-wise and always knows what is best. [Romans 11:33-34; James 1:5]
- Omnipotent- God is all-powerful and is able to do anything consistent with His character as God. [Ephesians 1:11b]
- Omniattendant- God is constantly attentive to His children. [2 Chronicles 16:9a, Proverbs 15:3, Hebrews 4:13 ] From Dr Mac Brunson.
- Creator and Sustainer of the universe- Created in 6 days; 6,000 to 8,000 years ago. [By Henry Luke, Genesis 1-2; Colossians 1:16-17; God’s revelation of Himself in Creation! ]
God’s attributes of care
- Holiness– God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are 100% devoted to each other in faithfulness and loyalty and trust. A The separation of holiness for disciples is having complete devotion to God and being separated from a world that disregards God. [1 Peter 1:15-16]
- Faithfulness- What God knows and what He says are true. [John 17:17]
- Goodness-Everything that God is and does is the standard for what is best. [Ps119:68]
- Love- God gives Himself to benefit others. [John 3:16]
- Mercy and grace- God’s kindness to undeserving people who need help. Mercy is God’s goodness to those who are in trouble. Grace is God’s goodness to those who do not deserve it. [2 Corinthians 1:3; Romans 3:23-24]
- Wrath- His anger toward and punishment of wickedness. [Romans 12:17-19]
For printable version of Navigators 30 names and attributes of God for daily prayers click here.
Footnote: A- From “A Theology of Biblical Counseling” by Dr Heath Lambert, Footnote 11 at bottom page 124.
Henry Luke Revised 7/14/2017
Scripture referenced above:
Acts 17:24-30 24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things; 26 and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation, 27 that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’ 29 Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. 30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,
1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.
Matthew 5:48 Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Psalm 139:7-10 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
John 17:22-23 22 The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23 I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
Psalm 139:1-6 1 O Lord, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. 3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O Lord, You know it all. 5 You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.
Romans 11:33-34 33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! 34 For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor?
James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
Ephesians 1:11b Who works all things after the counsel of His will,
2 Chronicles 16:9a For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His
Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Watching the evil and the good.
Hebrews 4:13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
1 Peter 1:15-16 15 but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16 because it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
Psalm 119:68 You are good and do good; Teach me Your statutes.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
2 Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
Romans 3:23-24 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
Romans 12:17-19 17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.