-Ed Stetzer wrote a post comparing old and new ways of reaching people for Jesus Christ.
“Compare the old American Evangelical process to the new…
For decades, the most effective process used by American Evangelicals followed this pattern:
- Using a tool like the Four Spiritual Laws, a gospel tract, or the EE presentation, a Christian presented an unbeliever with the opportunity to believe in Christ by sharing truth with him or her.
- The Christian would then invite the new convert to become a part of a church.
- The Christian would then help the new convert to enjoy a sense of belonging with the church.
Today’s process looks more like this:
- The Christian invites people to belong to your community (love them even if they don’t believe), and through that…
- The Chrisitian helps them see why they should believe in what the Bible claims about Jesus.
- Once they believe in Jesus, the Christian encourages them to become a part of the church and join in the mission of evangelizing others.
Simplifying it, the process shift looks like this…
- Old Process = Believe, Become, Belong
- New Process = Belong, Believe, Become
Be ready at all times to share the gospel truth, because it is the gospel that changes lives. Let us begin the process by simply showing gospel warmth until that door of conversation opens. In other words, love people until they ask, “Why?”” For source and more information click here.
We should “sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts B, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; [1 Peter 3:15]
I am reminded of my daily morning prayer “O God, may Your glory C be revealed in me today, at my expense [His way, not my way; His kingdom, not mine; His will, not mine].”
For “Reaching the Next Generation” by Alvin Reid click here. This is a very good short article.
A- ; B- set apart Jesus Christ as Lord and Master in my life!; C- For the glory of God click here.
Henry Luke 2/16/2017, revised 2/7/2018