The disciple has 3 enemies–1)Satan, 2)Self/flesh and 3)the World System. Below are 10 scriptures that provide assurance of victory for the disciple.
1. Jesus set the example by answering temptation with scripture.
Matthew 4:1-9; 4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”
2. Our scriptural formula is submit to God first then resist.
James 4:7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
3. Jesus our High Priest understands our temptations.
Hebrews 4:14-16; 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
4. God’s promise to be faithful & not allow more temptation than we can stand.
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
5. Put on the full armor of God so you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Ephesians 6:10-18; 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
6. Take every thought captive in obedience to Christ
2 Corinthians 10:5… we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
7. If we do sin we have an Advocate or Lawyer Who intercedes for us with God the Father.
1 John 2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;
8. Be filled with the Spirit
Ephesians 5:15-18; 18…but be filled with the Spirit,
9. Walk by the Spirit
Galatians 5:16-23; 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
10. The minimum requirement for a true believer-Have no known unconfessed sin.
1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
For more information see What to do with our sin