- JEHOVAH The name of the independent, self-complete being—“I AM WHO I AM”—only belongs to Jehovah God. Our proper response to Him is to fall down in fear and awe of the One who possesses all authority. Exodus 3:13-15..14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
- JEHOVAH-M’KADDESH This name means “the God who sanctifies.” A God separate from all that is evil requires that the people who follow Him be cleansed of all evil. Leviticus 20:7,8 You shall consecrate yourselves therefore and be holy, for I am the Lord your God.
- INFINITE God is beyond measurement— we cannot define Him by size or amount. He has no beginning, no end, and no limits. Romans 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!
- OMNIPOTENT God is all-powerful. He spoke all things into being, and all things— every cell, every breath, every thought—are sustained by Him. Nothing is too difficult for Him. Jeremiah 32:17,18, 26,27..17 ‘Ah Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for You, 27 “Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?”
- GOOD God is the embodiment of perfect goodness and is kind, benevolent, and full of goodwill toward all creation. Psalm 119:65-72..68 You are good and do good; Teach me Your statutes.
- LOVE God’s love is so great that He gave His only Son to bring us into fellowship with Him. His love encompasses the world and embraces each of us personally and intimately. 1 John 4:7-10 NLT..10 This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 1 John 3:16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. John 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
- JEHOVAH-JIREH “The God who provides.” Just as He provided yesterday, He will provide today and tomorrow. He grants deliverance from sin, the oil of joy for the ashes of sorrow, and eternal citizenship in His Kingdom for all those adopted into His household. Genesis 22:9-14 ..14 Abraham called the name of that place The Lord Will Provide, as it is said to this day, “In the mount of the Lord it will be provided.”
- JEHOVAH-SHALOM “The God of peace.” We are meant to know the fullness of God’s perfect peace, His “shalom.” God’s peace surpasses understanding and sustains us through difficult times. It’s the product of fully being what we were created to be. Judges 6:16-24.. 22 When Gideon saw that he was the angel of the Lord, he said, “Alas, O Lord God! For now I have seen the angel of the Lord face to face.” 23 The Lord said to him, “Peace to you, do not fear; you shall not die.”
- IMMUTABLE All that God is, He has always been. All that He has been and is, He will ever be. He is ever perfect and unchanging. Psalm 102:25-28 ..27 “But You are the same, And Your years will not come to an end”
- TRANSCENDENT God is not simply the highest in an order of beings (this would be to grant Him eminence). He is transcendent—existing beyond and above the created universe. Psalm 113:4,5..4 The Lord is high above all nations; His glory is above the heavens.
- JUST God is righteous and holy, fair and equitable in all things. We can trust Him to always do what is right. Psalm 75:1-7 ..2 “When I select an appointed time, It is I who judge with equity.
- HOLY God’s holiness is not a better version of the best we know. God is utterly and supremely untainted. His holiness stands apart—unique and incomprehensible. Revelation 4:8-11..8 …“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come. 11 “Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.”
- JEHOVAH-ROPHE “Jehovah heals.” God alone provides the remedy for mankind’s brokenness through His son, Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the physical, moral, and spiritual remedy for all people. Exodus 15:22-26..24 So the people grumbled at Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” 25 Then he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree; and he threw it into the waters, and the waters became sweet.
- SELF-SUFFICIENT All things are God’s to give, and all that is given is given by Him. He can receive nothing that He has not already given us. Acts 17:24-28..24 The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all people life and breath and all things;
- OMNISCIENT God is all-knowing. God’s knowledge encompasses every possible thing that exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist. Nothing is a mystery to Him. Psalm 139:1-6..2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. 3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
- OMNIPRESENT God is everywhere, in and around everything, close to everyone. “‘Do not I fill heaven and earth?’ declares the Lord.” Psalm 139:7-12 ..7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
- MERCIFUL God’s merciful compassion is infinite and inexhaustible. Through Christ, He took the judgment that was rightfully ours and placed it on His own shoulders. He waits and works now for all people to turn to Him and to live under His justification. Deuteronomy 4:29-31..31For the Lord your God is a compassionate God; He will not fail you nor destroy you nor forget the covenant with your fathers which He swore to them...
- SOVEREIGN God presides over every event, great or small, and He is in control of our lives. He is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-wise * and by His sovereignty, He rules His entire creation. Yet in His Sovereignty, He gives humans a free will. * 1 Chronicles 29:11-13 ..11 Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O Lord, and You exalt Yourself as head over all. 12 Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and to strengthen everyone. 13 Now therefore, our God, we thank You, and praise Your glorious name. Romans 12:1-2.. 1Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. HCSB
- JEHOVAH-NISSI “God our banner.” Under His banner we go from triumph to triumph and say, “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” 1 Corinthians 15:57, Exodus 17:8-15.. 14 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write this in a book as a memorial and recite it to Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.” 15 Moses built an altar and named it The Lord is My Banner;
- WISE All God’s acts are accomplished through His infinite wisdom. He always acts for our good, which is to conform us to the image of Jesus. Our good and His glory are inextricably bound together. Proverbs 3:19-20.. 19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens. 20 By His knowledge the deeps were broken up And the skies drip with dew. Romans 8:29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
- FAITHFUL Out of His faithfulness God honors His covenants and fulfills His promises. Our hope for the future rests upon God’s faithfulness. Psalm 89:1-8..1I will sing of the lovingkindness of the Lord forever; To all generations I will make known Your faithfulness with my mouth. 2 For I have said, “Lovingkindness will be built up forever; In the heavens You will establish Your faithfulness.”
- WRATHFUL Unlike human anger, God’s wrath is never capricious, self-indulgent, or irritable. It is the right and necessary reaction to objective moral evil. Nahum 1:2-8.. 2 A jealous and avenging God is the Lord; The Lord is avenging and wrathful. The Lord takes vengeance on His adversaries, And He reserves wrath for His enemies. 3 The Lord is slow to anger and great in power,
And the Lord will by no means leave the guilty unpunished.
- FULL OF GRACE Grace is God’s good pleasure that moves Him to grant merit where it is un-deserved and to forgive the debt that cannot be repaid. Ephesians 1:6-8.. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight
- OUR COMFORTER Jesus called the Holy Spirit the “Comforter,” and the apostle Paul writes that the Lord is “3cthe God of all comfort.” 2 Corinthians 1:3,4
- EL-SHADDAI “God Almighty,” the God who is all-sufficient and all-bountiful, the source of all blessings. Genesis 49:22-26..“Joseph is a fruitful bough, ..24 From the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),
- FATHER Jesus taught us to pray, “Our Father” [Matthew 6:9], and the Spirit of God taught us to cry, “Abba, Father,” an intimate Aramaic term similar to “Daddy.” The Creator of the universe cares for each one of us. Romans 8:15-17..15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,
- THE CHURCH’S HEAD God the Son, Jesus, is the head of the Church. As the head, the part of the body that sees hears, thinks, and decides, He gives the orders that the rest of the body lives by. Ephesians 1:22-23..22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,
- OUR INTERCESSOR Knowing our temptations, God the Son intercedes for us. He opens the doors for us to boldly ask God the Father for mercy. Hebrews 4:14-16.. 14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses,… 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- ADONAI “Master” or “Lord.” All God’s people ought to acknowledge themselves as His servants, with His right to reign as Lord of our lives. 2 Samuel 7:18-20 ..18 Then David the king went in and sat before the Lord, and he said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that You have brought me this far? 20 Again what more can David say to You? For You know Your servant, O Lord God [Jehovah]!
- ELOHIM “Strength” or “Power”: He is transcendent, mighty and strong. This name displays His supreme power, sovereignty, and faithfulness in His covenant relationship with us. Genesis 17:7,8..7 I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you. 8 I will give to you and to your descendants after you, the land of your sojournings, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.”
- OMNISAPIENT * God is all-wise and always knows what is best. Romans 11:33-34.. 33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
THIS TOOL IS MEANT TO BE SHARED. To download a copy visit navlink.org/names-of-God Sources: The Knowledge of the Holy, by A.W. Tozer; Names of God, by Nathan Stone; and God of Glory, by Kenneth Landon.
* Some minor changes made and #31 added by Henry Luke.
Henry Luke 6/21/2018